Outdoor Writers Association of America
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
2023 OWAA Excellence In Craft (EIC) Contest Rules
Categories, deadlines, and everything you need to know to enter.
The Outdoor Writers Association of America annually honors the best-of-the-best in outdoor journalism through its Excellence In Craft Contest.
- The EIC Contest is open to all OWAA members and will award first-, second- and third-place winners in 10 Media Categories: Blog, Book, Column, Graphic/Illustration, Magazine/E-zine, Newspaper/News Website, Photography, Photo Essay, Radio/Podcast, and TV/Video/Webcast.
- All entries must be related to the outdoors, published either in traditional media or on the internet, as a professional effort, meaning the member has received direct payment or otherwise derived income through advertising or other sponsorship related to the published entry.
- The contest period for eligible entries is Jan. 1, 2022 through Dec. 31, 2022, except for the Book Contest which is for works published between Dec. 1, 2020 through Nov. 30, 2022.
- Entries in all contest categories can be submitted beginning Nov. 1, 2022. The final deadline for the Book Contest is Dec. 1, 2022. The early bird deadline for all other entries is January 15th, 2023. The final deadline for all other entries is January 31st, 2023.
- The entry process for the 2023 EIC Contest is managed through a partnership with Submittable, an OWAA Supporting Group that specializes in on-line contest submissions. All entries must be submitted online through Submittable, except for Book entries, which must be mailed to OWAA EIC Contest, c/o Chez Chesak, 3420 Lyleburn Pl, Cincinnati OH 45220 with a postmark no later than midnight EST Dec. 1, 2022.
- To avoid confusion and extra work for OWAA staff and volunteers, members must enter only their OWN work through their individual Submittable account.
- To begin submitting online entries, go to https://owaa.submittable.com/signup to create a FREE Submittable account, which allows you access to EIC entry forms. Each Media Category – Blog, Book, Column, Graphic/Illustration, Magazine/Magazine Website, Newspaper/News Website, Photography, Photo Essay, Radio/Podcast, and TV/Video/Webcast – has its own entry form.
- The entry deadline is midnight EST, Jan. 31, 2023 for all Media Categories except the Book Contest in which entries must be postmarked no later than midnight EST Dec. 1, 2022.
- The entry fee for all contests is $15 per submission.
- Entries in Blog, Column, Graphic/Illustration, Magazine/Magazine Website, Newspaper/News Website, Photography, Photo Essay, Radio/Podcast, and TV/Video/Webcast submitted after midnight EST, Jan. 15, 2023 will be charged an additional $10 late fee with a final submission deadline of Jan. 31, 2023. Entries submitted after that date will be disqualified.
- Entry fee payment must be submitted through Submittable using credit card, or by mailing a check.
- All online credit card payments are tied to the specific Media Category being entered. You can make one credit card payment for multiple entries in a specific Media Category (e.g., Blogs, Photography, etc.), but the system doesn’t allow bundling entries from multiple Media Categories into a single payment. In other words, you can only process Blog entry fees in the Blog form, Column entry fees in the Column form, and so on.
- You may, however, submit a single check for all entries in all categories and topics. Mail checks to OWAA EIC Contest – C/O Chez Chesak, 3420 Lyleburn Pl, Cincinnati OH 45220. Checks must be postmarked before the contest deadline.
Members must have their dues paid to enter.
Your first step is to create a FREE Submittable account, which allows you access to EIC entry forms and other opportunities with Submittable.
If you have any questions on how to create a Submittable account, contact EIC contest coordinator Emma Mares at firstname.lastname@example.org or the Submittable help desk at email@example.com.
Thanks to Friesens Publishing, Henry Repeating Arms, Rails-to-Trails Conservancy, Recreational Boating and Fishing Foundation, and Pew Charitable Trusts for their sponsorship of the 2022 EIC Contest. The support of brands like these is critical to help keep this program running year after year and provides additional prize money for category winners.