Outdoor Writers Association of America
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Welcome to the 2020 Excellence In Craft Contest!
The Outdoor Writers Association of America annually honors the best-of-the-best in outdoor journalism through its Excellence In Craft Contest.
First-, second- and third-place winners will be selected in 10 media categories: Blog, Book, Column, Graphic/Illustration, Magazine/E-zine, Newspaper/News Website, Photography, Photo Essay, Radio/Podcast, and TV/Video/Webcast. The winners will be honored at the OWAA annual conference June 27-29, 2020 at Jay Peak Resort in Vermont.
Additional sponsors will be listed as they are added.
- All entries must be related to the outdoors and must be a professional effort, meaning the member has received direct payment or otherwise derived income through advertising or other sponsorship related to the entry.
- Members must pay 2020 dues prior to submitting entries.
- Letter of verification from editor/publisher must accompany newspaper and magazine entries not containing bylines or containing pen names.
- Co-authored, co-photographed and co-produced creations may be entered only once, regardless of how many people received bylines/credits. For co-authored, co-photographed and co-produced entries, all authors/photographers/producers must be OWAA members with the exception of the Book contest in which only one author must be an OWAA member. The prize will be split among the co-authors/photographers/producers and one certificate will be awarded with all co-authors/photographers/producers’ names on it.
- Entries may be entered in multiple categories (e.g., Hunting or shooting sports, gear/technical, etc.) if the category description applies, but with the exception of the column and children’s story contests that span different media, an entry may only be entered in a single contest. For example, a single piece may not be considered both a blog and a new website piece. This would not prohibit portions of a text-photo package or other multimedia project from being entered separately into their respective contests.
- Entry constitutes a waiver of copyright restrictions on reprinting or reproducing entries by OWAA and the contest sponsor for the purpose of circulating entries between OWAA and other interested parties.
- Family or friends may enter deceased OWAA members’ works, published or broadcast during the contest year.
- Award certificates and checks are made out to individuals, not organizations, publications or broadcast stations.
- Entries submitted during a previous contest year, even though re-published or re-broadcast, may not be entered.
- For entries that are to be sent via postal mail, send to: OWAA EIC Contest, 21565 Nine Mile Road, Huson, MT, 59846. The entry fee for mail-in entries is $20; $10 for all online entries.
- Entries will not be returned.
2020 OWAA membership dues must be paid prior to entering the Excellence In Craft Contest.
Your first step is to create a FREE Submittable account, which allows you access to EIC entry forms and other opportunities with Submittable.
If you have any questions on how to create a Submittable account, go to https://www.submittable.help/en/articles/904856-how-do-i-submit.